Monday, May 13, 2013

Hidden Fear of the Devil



"You attract what you fear."

This was one of the teachings I learned and taught over the years in my metaphysical work.  It's part of the Law of Attraction which is one of the entry points being used by the new age community to reach Christians.

It's easy for them because everyone is embarrassed by fear.  We all want to hide our fear because it makes us vulnerable. 

I remember when I first saw what I mistook as evidence of fear's power manifesting in my life.  I was watching a big bumble-bee flying outside my screenless window.  At the very moment I feared the bumble bee coming inside, it did.

A couple days later, I went to open a bank account.  On the way to the bank I feared something unexpected would go wrong and I would be unable to open the account.  Sure enough, at the bank they told me I could not open an account without a pay stub, which I did not have because I was self-employed. 

As I walked the two blocks back home, I saw a big dog without a leash, sitting on a porch.  For a split second I feared it coming after me.  Instantly, it bolted off the porch and sped right toward me...only to run right past me.  It was chasing a cat.

These manifestations seemed to me at the time to confirm the power of fear to attract the things we fear.  This is one of the ways people get deceived into believing such lies. 

Adopted by Christians, these teachings often translate into, "Thinking about the devil gives him power." 

Ultimately, what that really amounts to is fear-induced denial.  Sometimes we hide our fear of the devil behind facades that we think are superior to that hated fear. 

There are two things wrong with that.  First, denial is dishonesty.  It's a lie that pretends things are okay when they're not. 

The second thing is the misplaced fear that is the very premise of this teaching.  Fear of the devil. 

Certainly we should have a healthy concern regarding the devil's snares, as the Bible tells us, but our fear really should be devoted to the one who exacts our judgement

You don't have to be fearful of the devil to admit he can cause trouble.  He can cause us even more trouble if we ignore him.

Admittedly, it's tempting to just say, "That old devil; he doesn't deserve to be acknowledged."

Would you say that about a snake in your bed?  If you did, you'd probably be bitten.  Let's not forget, the devil is a snake. 

"Ignore it and it will go away" doesn't work on the devil.  Ignoring him won't make him tire of you.  He loves it when you ignore him.  One of his favorite tricks is making you forget or deny he's there so he can work undetected.  It's all about deception for him.  He is the master of lies.

As an occultist, I used to try to demonstrate what I thought was a NON-fear of the devil by treading on his territory, disregarding the Bible's warnings against such things.  I believed my acts of divination, witchcraft and other occult practices were a powerful defiance against him, declaring his impotence in my life. 

I was so driven by fear that desperation marred my logic.  I was too frightened to acknowledge that the devil might have any power at all. 

So, I offered strange fire in my own wisdom, which wasn't any kind of wisdom at all.

What a laugh he must have been having at my expense.

I would say, "A shadow is only a sign that you're standing in the light."  This way of thinking would have you believe that the devil is as illusory and powerless as a shadow, and that is false. 

The devil is not a harmless shadow.  He doesn't just want to make a dark spot at your feet.  He wants to steal from you, kill you and destroy everything touched by God in your life.  He wants your soul for eternity.  He wants your loved ones' souls too.

Let's face it.  One of the reasons we fall for these deceptions is that we don't want the devil to have any power in our lives.  We fear what will happen if he does.   

To address that fear by ignoring it is to use a new age practice (which is actually old age, since there is nothing new under the sun).  It is a manipulative tactic that resorts to our own power rather than what the Bible tells us to do.

We were not given the armor of God just to spend our lives as cotton candy vendors at the game of life.  We are meant to be soldiers. 

No sword works against an enemy you refuse to look at.

You might ask, "Shouldn't I put my attention on Jesus?" 

Yes, of course you should, and you should think on things that are pure, lovely, and so on.  But the Bible also tells us to be sober and vigilant regarding the devil, and we should do that as well. 

If the Bible tells us to do both then we are capable of doing both.  We can trust that God would not tell us to do something we cannot do.  No part of the Bible steers us wrong. 

But I propose that with the advent of "positive thinking," we have come to lack more of the vigilance than the "thoughts on the pure and lovely."  Consequently, many end up placing their focus on a false Jesus, one who is not holy, one who has no hatred for sin, one who will speak to you through a psychic for $4.99 a minute if you keep following him. 

You do not attract what you fear.  That is a lie. 

And vigilance in regard to the devil is not fear.  It is obedience.  It is wisdom.

Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always so happy when I see a new post on your blog. I've seen people go so far as to tell me that I shouldn't ever pray out loud because Satan can hear us and work against our prayers. I pray silently when I'm alone because I know the One who doesn't fear Satan. And that's true freedom.

    ReplyDelete