Monday, June 17, 2013

Demons are Not Thoughts



There is a teaching that is creeping into the church, sadly, via some who are teaching about occult dangers.  That teaching says that demons are thoughts.  I recently encountered this quote:

"Some fear demons...I personally do not. I view demons as being hurtful thoughts or simply the "mis-thinking mind" of a person, whether on this side of the grave or the other. For the state of mind is the person and where they are living - for some it is hell."  - LC

I used to believe this way when I was in the occult.  Even when I was doing house cleansings and "expulsions" (my own new age version of exorcism), I still believed all I was really doing was shifting the thinking of my clients so their "thoughts" would not haunt or possess them any longer. 

What I lightheartedly called "critters" were really just involuntary expressions of our fears, or so I thought.

I didn't actually believe demons were real.  I regarded them as just negativity personified, manifestations of our own inner darkness, outward constructs consisting of personal shadows within, reflective emanations born out of our own mishandled minds. 

Since I believed we created our own realities I also held that anything we perceived as demonic was merely an emanation of our own flawed perception. 

And I believed it was narrow and ignorant to believe otherwise.

To me, blaming the devil for what people perceived as demons gave him more credit than he deserved.  I didn't believe in the devil anyway, other than the "devil within," a mere archetypal twilight side of ourselves, like the proverbial cartoon character on the shoulder, balanced of course by the angel on the opposite one. 

I considered it wrong to give credence to demons.  I believed that to do so actually gave energy to - and thus conceived - spirits that previously hadn't even existed.

And I believed that to claim demonic possession was nothing more than spiritual irresponsibility (something I thought Christians were guilty of by prodigious proportions).  I felt Christianity enabled people to avoid spiritual responsibility by blaming demons or the devil.  "The devil made me do it."

I was of the mindset that we were solely responsible for everything we experienced and that fear was the culprit.  All we needed to do was do away with fear and there would be no demons. 

When I first found myself writing in my journal, "I think I might be possessed," I still pushed aside the idea that I might have anything real or living that had any power beyond my own control.  I just chalked it up to post-partum depression and continued on my way.

Traditional Christian teachings about demons were in the dark ages, I thought.  What once were called demons were now called diseases and disorders.  We had diagnoses and medications for those things, now.  I was confident that all I needed to combat these manifestations of fear - was love.

A nice way of looking at things.  Makes the boogie man seem a lot less boogie-ish, doesn't it?  Puts you in the driver's seat and extinguishes fear in a snap!

Of course, this view also means we don't need to obey the Bible to avoid demons, but simply change our thinking. 

Ultimately, what it really says is we don't need Jesus - only ourselves

This is actually a works-based viewpoint.  As a matter of fact, it's in perfect alignment with Luciferian teachings, as you can see here:

"The metaphorical FALL, and as metaphorical atonement and crucifixion, led Western Humanity through roads knee-deep in blood. Worse than all, they led it to believe in the dogma of the evil spirit distinct from the spirit of all good, whereas the former lives in all matter and pre-eminently in man. Finally it created the God-slandering dogma of Hell and eternal perdition; it spread a thick film between the higher intuitions of man and divine verities; and, most pernicious result of all, it made people remain ignorant of the fact that there were no fiends, no dark demons in the Universe before man’s own appearance on this, and probably on other earths. Henceforth the people were led to accept, as the problematical consolation for this world’s sorrows, the thought of original sin."  – Helena Blavatsky, The Secret Doctrine

Conversely, the Bible portrays demons as evil, unclean spirits - real living beings that actually have identities, names, thoughts, fears, voices, powers, desires, and goals of their own.  This can be clearly seen in the story of the possessed man in Matthew 8, Mark 5, and Luke 8, when they conversed with Jesus. 

They can even be tormented.  They begged Jesus not to send them out of the country.

And they know who He is.

This has been proven by people who have called upon the name of Jesus while under demonic attack.  At His name, demons flee.  No therapy or thought-changing techniques required.  No seminars, retreats, coaching packages or self-help books.  No mustering up love in our own hearts. 

No work. 

Just His name.

The demonic is not you and your own thoughts.  There's a real spiritual war going on between real, spiritual, living beings that exist independently of you. 

In 1 Samuel 18:10-11, we see an evil spirit that came from God, Himself.  So much for creating our own realities.  There is a creator who is greater than us.  And it is only from Him that we can gain power over the demonic, not through our thoughts, but through His spirit.

When I first began to consider the possibility that demons were real, it was a painful and confusing transition.  I kept wanting to revert back to believing that I had created this experience and I kept blaming myself for what I was experiencing. 

I wanted the responsibility.  If I was the one responsible, I was the one with the power to fix it.  How liberating it was to discover that the burden was not upon me at all! 

His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

Demons are not thoughts.  They are much bigger than our thoughts.

And God is even bigger.



Image courtesy of Salvatore Vuono / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

4 comments:

  1. I was once told by a Christian woman that our inability to "see" the demons around us was a blessing. I've never known how to respond to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how to, either. She could be right.

      Delete
  2. Obviously L.C. hasn't read the bible.....

    ReplyDelete